Friday, January 26, 2018

SCARLET FEATHER by Maeve Binchy





I joined the book club at my library. This was January's selection. I must be one of the few people alive who have never read Maeve Binchy. Tom Feather and Cathy Scarlet, friends from culinary school open a catering company called Scarlet Feather. The book follows 'a year in the life' - their jobs, their relationships, their families. Unfortunately, I found both main characters to be completely unlikeable - uncommunicative, judgemental, childish. Luckily, Binchy does a pretty good job of creating supporting characters who are interesting - a pair of nine-year-old twins; Cathy's parents (working class, hard working, kind and fair) - but not really enough to sustain an almost 500 page novel.

So, why did I give this book a decent review rating? The average age at the book club appears to be about 75. Each and every one of them loved this book. They thought the characters had fine moral fibre. They wanted the catering company to do well. They commiserated over the relationship problems. They rooted for the possible romantic ending. They chose another Binchy book for February. Any book that will bring seniors together, provide entertainment, companionship and purpose is all right by me. (I, however, won't be going in February)

No comments:

Post a Comment