Tuesday, September 6, 2016

I have read most of Edward Rutherfurd's novels and, on the whole, quite like his work. Unfortunately, one has to be the least favourite and this one wins the prize. I hate to use this word when describing books but it was 'tedious'. The Princes of Ireland follows the author's tried and true formula of taking a location and following it's growth and change throughout many centuries - in this case the city of Dublin, Ireland from the time of the Druids to the 1500's. Generally the story is told through the eyes and actions of a number of families throughout the generations.

Princes of Ireland felt like one endless description of minor, sometimes petty, battles from beginning to end. The people were never fleshed out enough for me to really care about them and, as a result this book never really captured my attention. I did stick it out to the end though - all 1280 pages of it because I have enjoyed so many other books by this author.

If you have never read anything by Edward Rutherfurd, I wouldn't want to spoil that experience for you - try his excellent 'Sarum' or 'London' instead.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment