Monday, September 19, 2016

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN



What a terrific book! I'm not normally into YA fantasy fiction, but I found the cover picture and the pictures inside so intriguing that I bought the book immediately. I guess I must have been living under a rock. I had never even heard of the series (yes, it is a series) and it is about to be released as a motion picture (by Tim Burton - the absolute right choice for this book!).

Jacob's grandfather was sent into hiding to escape the Nazi's in 1940 - the only one of his family members to survive. After moving to America and starting his own family, he told Jacob fantastic stories of his youth - stories of mansions, children with peculiar abilities, headmistresses who could become birds, monsters and time loops. As Jacob became older, he filed these stories under 'fairy tales'. But are they? When Jacob's grandfather meets a gruesome death, he leaves instructions for Jacob to find his childhood home and friends.

This book is excellent. Ransom Riggs is a collector of vintage, creepy pictures and used many of them to help tell his story. There is just the right mix of suspense, adventure, family drama. Although the book is advertised as a YA, it easily translates into Adult literature. It held my interest right until the final page and me me eager to begin the next book in the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment