Tuesday, September 12, 2017

ADULT ONSET by Ann-Marie MacDonald










Mary Rose (MR - called Mister by her friends) is a stay-at-home author, watching her two young children while her wife is away directing a play.  This novel (somewhat autobiographical) follows MR during the week that she is alone at home with her two children.  MR carries around a lot of baggage.  She has a complicated relationship with her mother - stemming from her mum's multiple pregnancy losses and the depression that followed.  MR herself suffers from chronic pain in her arm - again related to possible abuse she suffered as a child.  

I could not warm to this character - she lives in her head and is constantly second guessing every thought, every action.  Really, I found her to be about ten kinds of crazy and exhausting to be around.

Ann-Marie MacDonald is one of my favourite authors.  'Fall on Your Knees' was brilliant and the second novel, 'The Way the Crow Flies' was even better for me.  I love her writing style and her complex back stories.  'Adult Onset', however, is definitely my third favourite of her three books.

No comments:

Post a Comment